Are you interested in an externship with Springhill Equine?
If so, you’re in the right spot!
Springhill Equine Veterinary Clinic is proud to host externs from all over the country as part of our mission to make the world a better place for horses. Externs typically do a two-week rotation with us, although schedules vary. This is a great opportunity to see what equine medicine is all about, if you’re in college, and a great chance to get hands-on experience for vet students.
To apply for an externship, read through the important things to know, and fill out the application below.
Thanks for your interest in our practice!
Important things to know:
1. You are responsible for your own housing, food, and transportation. We may be able to assist with housing, so make sure to ask.
2. You’ll be expected to work! We’re not offering a fly-on-the-wall experience. Plan to work hard and get dirty.
3. We work long days! It starts at 8:00 am, and ends at 6:00 pm or whenever we get done with the emergencies. Don’t worry, you’ll have the weekend to recover!
4. We have three veterinarians, and you will likely get to spend time will all of them.
5. While we have a clinic and see in-house appointments regularly, much of our practice is ambulatory. You will be riding in the vet truck to farms all over north central Florida.
6. We are a general practice. While we have a boarded surgeon on staff, we do not do major surgeries. We do a lot of vaccines, dental care, lameness, and sport horse care. We also offer chiro, accupunture, and FES. We have emergencies almost every day, ranging from eye ulcers to lacerations to colic. You will see a wide variety of things over a 2-week visit.